Karen Gabel Speroni, PhD, BSN, MHSA, RN
Dr. Karen Gabel Speroni works uniquely with organizations to facilitate structures and processes that support organizational missions, visions and values to achieve evidence-based practice and research related outcomes, ultimately to improve patient outcomes and work environment.
As a consultant, currently Karen works as a:
- Consultant and educator, American Nurses Association: Works with hospitals on their Magnet® and Pathway to Excellence® journey. She was a Fundamentals of Magnet instructor for several years, and is a Certificate Holder, Fundamentals of Magnet;
- Research consultant: Develops structures and processes for nursing professional governance focusing on evidence-based practice and research, as well Magnet recognition criterion, for several organizations, including University of Maryland Shore Regional Health, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, and hospitals in California;
- Adjunct faculty and researcher: Johns Hopkins School of Nursing. She served as Principal Investigator for an international, multi-site research study on professional nursing governance; and
- Lecturer and author: Presents research infrastructure and research findings nationally and internationally. She has authored over 85 publications, including manuscripts, abstracts and book chapters.
- Nursing governance-related publications include the following:
- Speroni, K.G., Wisner, K., Ober, M., Haines, F., Walters, C., & Budhathoki, C. Effect of Shared Governance on Nurse Sensitive Indicator and Satisfaction Outcomes by Magnet Recognition Status. In Press July/August 2021 (accepted February 1, 2021): Journal of Nursing Administration.
- Speroni, K.G., Wisner, K., Stafford, A., Haines, F., AL-Ruzzieh, M.A., Walters, C., & Budhathoki, C. Effect of Shared Governance on Nurse Sensitive Indicator and Satisfaction Outcomes: An International Comparison. In Press May 2021 (accepted January 9, 2021): Journal of Nursing Administration.
- Hess, B., Weaver, S., & Speroni, K.G. (2020). Shared Governance During A Pandemic. Nurse Leader. doi: 1016/j.mnl.2020.05.008
- Wilson, J., Speroni, K.G., Jones, R.A. & Daniel, M.G. (2014). Exploring How Nurses and Managers Perceive Shared Governance. Nursing2014, 22: 19-22. Nursing2014.com DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000450791.18473.52
Karen has over 35 years of experience in biomedical research and hospital consultation, including hospitals, university teaching, Institutional Review Boards, contract research organizations and pharmacoeconomic analysis. She received her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Research, Rockhurst College, a Master of Health Services Administration from The George Washington University, and a PhD in Health Care Management, from Eastern University.