Julie is the director of Nursing Excellence & Innovation/Magnet Program director at Monmouth Medical Center (MMC), Long Branch, NJ. She is the facilitator of the MMC Magnet Ambassador Committee and has been involved in MMC’s shared governance in many different roles since its 2012 inception. As the Magnet Program director, Julie manages a team of writers in composing MMC’s first Magnet document, due for submission in February, 2019.
Some of Julie’s accomplishments include:
- Developing and implementing peer review for all levels of nursing at MMC
- Developing a forum for clinical nurses to meet with the chief nursing officer (CNO) to discuss issues that impact their practice and patient care
- Developing and implementing Magnet boards on every inpatient and ambulatory patient care unit
- Facilitating the initiation of the MMC Evidence-Based Practice Committee
- Conduct research regarding nurses’ perceptions about MMC’s shared governance and disseminate the findings both internally and externally
- Achieve an 80% or better participation rate on the NDNQI RN Satisfaction survey for two years and outperforming in five of the seven categories (exceeding Magnet expectations in four of seven categories)
Julie stays in touch with much of the clinical staff to be able to continue to make a difference in nursing locally and on a national level. She has published research on people’s perceptions of those with tattoos, the Catholic nun’s influence on nursing, and a new CNO’s implementation of moving an organization to nursing excellence. In addition to many poster presentations, her podium presentations, bidirectional communication in a shared governance model, and Magnet updates at the quarterly CNO Town Hall Meetings have allowed her to teach her colleagues the secrets to a successful shared governance model.
Julie is licensed in New Jersey and Florida and is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International, the American Nurses Association, the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses as well as its local Shellcoast Chapter, and Organization of Nurse Leaders of New Jersey.